University Laboratory Safety Award
The University Laboratory Safety Committee (ULSC), in partnership with Knowledge Enterprise and ASU Environmental Health and Safety, is calling for applications for the 2023 Laboratory Safety Innovation Award competition. The competition recognizes innovative implementation of a research or teaching safety program and acknowledges outstanding effort of a principal investigators, staff or students who demonstrate the shared commitment to the safe and responsible conduct of research in a laboratory or academic setting at ASU.
The ULSC is interested in new, innovative ways to improve the culture and safety practices at ASU. We are pleased to announce a call for proposals for the 2023 Safety Innovation Award program. This program will award proposals that integrate enhanced safety practices into our current research and teaching activities.
Sparky Award Application, $2,000
ASU faculty, staff and students can apply for this award here. The Award Committee, comprised of ULSC voting members will review and rank the applications. The application will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Proposal to develop and/or implement an innovative program or process within your laboratory or academic environment to significantly improve safety culture. This program or process may be discipline-specific or one that could be more broadly implemented.
- Each applicant will complete a proposal that includes an innovative safety plan that has been or will be implemented in their program or process. This safety plan will be reviewed by the award committee. The proposal should include enough details on how this plan will be implemented and evaluated in a one-page summary. Include details on how your innovative safety program or process could be shared with other ASU community members to improve their safety.
Graduate Students/Post-Doctoral Researchers Award, Grant, $500
- Applicants are invited to submit a one-page proposal for a new, not currently implemented program. The proposal should outline the plan to increase the safety culture within their unit for a teaching submission.
ASU graduate students and post-doctoral researchers can apply here. The Award Committee, comprised of ULSC members will review and rank the applications. The application will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Proposals can include other ASU community resources (e.g., Researchers, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), EHS Compliance Officer (CO), and/or unit safety committee).
- A recommendation by the unit CO and the unit director must be submitted with the proposal. If the unit does not have a designated CO, the unit may volunteer a new CO, in consultation with the unit director, to fulfill this requirement.
The applicant/lab must:
- Have developed and/or implemented an innovative program or process to significantly improve ASU lab safety culture.
- Include details of the innovation safety plan that has been implemented, demonstrate the efficacy of the plan or program, and include how the innovative safety program or process was or can be shard with other ASU community members to improve the culture of safety.
- Include letters of support by the unit director, compliance safety officers or others who are aware of and can confirm the innovation.
Application deadline - April 29, 2023 at 5:00 PM
Final selection – May 3, 2023
Announcement reception - Week of May 9, 2023
Apply to the Laboratory Safety Innovation Award.
For questions about the award, contact Deb Murphy at Debra.Murphy@asu.edu