ASU Home

H-1B Temporary Worker Requests-I-129 Certification

Requirement for all H-1B temporary worker requests

US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has revised Form I-129 “Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker”, which is used in the H-1B/O-1 temporary worker process. One requirement is an attestation regarding whether activities are governed by Export Control laws. As a result, additional screening must take place before the H-1B or O-1 petition may be filed with USCIS. Questions about this new requirement may be emailed to the International Students and Scholars Office at

All H-1B and O-1 requests received by USCIS after February 23, 2011 must include an additional certification, regardless of discipline

In order to comply with this requirement, sponsoring departments must review and complete the information outlined on the Export Compliance Questionnaire. For additional details, see the National Association of College and University Attorneys details at NACUA NOTES.

Please complete the I-129 Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker Export Compliance Questionnaire and submit it to ORIA, at or send it to Mail Code 6111.  ORIA will then return the form to the department.

Additional Resource: