ASU Home

Foreign Travel

Traveling outside the United States can require a License(s). This depends on several factors including:

  1. The destination (whether it is an embargoed country)

  2. The equipment that you will travel with, and

  3. The purpose of the trip.

-For expecting travelers, please review the following links on the State Department’s Foreign Travel website so you will always have the most up to date information regarding your destination: 

Traveler's Checklist

Current Travel Alerts and Warnings

Country Specific Information

-Common questions you will be asked include:

  • Are you a U.S. citizen?

  • What is the purpose of your travels?

  • Are you taking a laptop, cell phone, PDA, etc.?  We want to verify that if you are taking any of the aforementioned items that you do not have any export controlled date  on them.  It is best to leave unpublished research in the US.


If you will be travelling to any of the follwing embargoed countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Sudan, please contact the Office of Research Integrity to determine licensing requirements. 


-No export controlled or technical data should be taken on a computer, flash drive, Blackberry etc. It is best to take a clean laptop and leave unpublished research data at home or ASU. Contact ORIA if you are unsure if your data may be export controlled.  You can also submit the Foreign Travel Checklist for ORIA's review.

-Export controlled items include: Laptops, PDA’s, GPS; Software (even Microsoft products); anything with encryption technology; prototypes; materials, components, hardware, samples; unpublished research.


You can freely discuss published or publically available information that qualifies as fundamental research.