Guidelines for effective data management plans
Many federal funding agencies, including NIH and most recently NSF, are requiring that grant applications contain data management plans for projects involving data collection. To support researchers in meeting this requirement, ORIA is providing guidance on creating such plans.
Elements of a Data Management Plan
The list of elements was prepared by the University of Michigan Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Science (ICPSR). Elements that are highly recommended for inclusion in effective data management plans are noted.
Framework for Creating a Data Management Plan
This framework takes the form of a list of elements with issues and questions to consider and examples for each element. Also included is information on why each element is important and suggestions for additional reading.
Data Management Plan Resources and Examples
Other Data Management Plan Examples
These examples span a range of natural science disciplines.
Preparing Data management Plans for NSF
Comments or Questions
If you have comments or questions, or would like to recommend other data plans or links for this site, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We relied and acknowledge the University of Michigan, ICPSR for sharing the material presented on their website at: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/index.jsp.
Data management plan resources
- Elements of a Data Management Plan | PDF
- Framework for Creating a Data Management Plan | PDF
- Data Management Plan Resources and Examples | PDF
Federal agency policies on data management and sharing
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Policy on Releasing and Sharing Data
- Council on Governmental Relations - Access to and Retention of Research Data: Rights and Responsibilities, March 2006.
- National Institute of Justice - Data Resources Program
- National Institutes of Health - Data Sharing Policy
- National Science Foundation - Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide
- National Science Foundation (NSF) - Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results
- Office of Management and Budget (OMB) - Circular A-110, September 30, 1999